Penn State's TRIO Talent Search project in the Office of Educational Equity is seeking a Counselor for our program operations in the New Castle Area School District. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of working effectively with middle and high school students in a team environment.
Penn State's TRIO Talent Search projects are funded by grants from the U.S. Department of Education to assist middle and high school students who would be the first in their families to complete a bachelor's degree. The project currently operates in eight school districts within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The work location for this job is the Penn State Talent Search office within the New Castle Junior/Senior High School.
This individual will be responsible for providing services to students with a focus on meeting the following core objectives of the project:
- Assisting non-senior students to complete rigorous coursework and pass to the next grade level each year.
- Assisting senior students to graduate from high school on time.
- Assisting senior students to matriculate to postsecondary education for the fall semester immediately following high school graduation.
- Assisting with tracking the postsecondary progress of students served for six years after high school graduation.
Competencies critical to success include:
- Outstanding interpersonal verbal and written communications.
- Effective analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
The Talent Search Counselor serves as the Penn State on-site program liaison/contact with school district personnel. The ideal candidate will have experience in the following knowledge areas:
- Collaborating with school district personnel to assist participants with scheduling high school courses and providing academic counseling and support services necessary to ensure completion of a rigorous curriculum.
- Reviewing and monitoring participants' academic progress to guide implementation of grade-level appropriate activities, focused on postsecondary goals integrated with a salient career focus.
- Assisting participants with applying to postsecondary education and navigating the enrollment process.
- Providing information about financial aid and assisting participants with applying for aid and interpreting financial aid packages.
- Coordinating and chaperoning postsecondary campus tours and career focused field trips.
- Developing and maintaining a network of professional relationships with postsecondary institutions and community agencies.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Education and Experience:
Typically requires a Master's Degree or higher in counselor education, college student personnel, psychology, social work, education, higher education administration, or related discipline plus one year of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position requires the following clearances:
- PA State Police Criminal Background Check
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form
- Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
This is a limited-term appointment ending June 30, 2023, with an excellent possibility of re-funding. On an annual basis this is a 10-month appointment running from mid-August through mid-June. Job is site-based within the New Castle School District and requires some overnight travel, evening, and weekend hours. Full Penn State benefits included.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/Western-Pennsylvania-Region/Counselor-2_REQ_0000030646-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-e832100383d4b546a49bde4641876952