Department: Counseling & Psychological Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: Human Resource Services
Purpose of Position:
Under moderate supervision and with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, counsels' individuals or groups presenting with career indecision, psychological or emotional problems such as, but not limited to, stress, trauma, substance abuse, or family situations. Develops and implements therapeutic treatment plans. Provides supervision to masters and doctoral level practicum students, doctoral level interns in psychology, and post-doctoral fellows. Also provides outreach prevention programs and consults with faculty and staff regarding student concerns.
- Interviews clients to obtain pertinent information regarding clients' presenting concerns.
- Provides psychotherapy to clients who present with mental health or behavioral problems, as well as other issues that may impact a client's academic success or quality of life.
- Selects and administers various tests, to identify behavioral or personality traits that may impact career decisions and academic success.
- Completes mental status exams and psychological batteries as necessary.
- Reviews and records test results and discusses those results with clients.
- Plans and administers therapeutic treatment such as behavior modification and stress management techniques to assist clients in managing symptoms and other problems.
- Provides crisis intervention.
- Changes method and degree of therapy when indicated by client reactions.
- Discusses progress toward goals with client such as improving body image, self-esteem, stress, or substance abuse.
- Consults with other specialists as needed.
- Refers client to supportive services to supplement treatment and counseling.
- Conducts research in appropriate treatment protocols for clients.
- Develops evaluative studies of therapy and therapy outcome.
- Develops, administers and coordinates outreach presentations and other programming to students, faculty and staff.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office software and able to learn and use institutional software systems.
- Complies with all State and University policies.
- Complies with ethical conduct guidelines as described by the American Psychological Association's code of conduct.
Statement of Specialized Responsibilities:
Assessment:Has experience with and can administer psychodiagnostics assessments pertaining to the major areas of cognition, achievement, personality, etc. Can create professionally written psychodiagnostics reports.
Supervision: Can provide clinical supervision to pre-doctoral interns and other students in training.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Education required: Doctoral degree in Clinical or Counseling Psychology from a regionally approved program.
Minimum Experience required: Has more than 1,750 hours of supervised post-doctoral experience (1 year full time, 2 years part time) and license eligible in the state of Texas within 3 months of hire
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally be required to lift and move up to 15 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please Apply online at www.utep.edu/employment
UTEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency